Sunday 12 August 2012

Introductory 'Hello': Greek Yoghurt Cake

Greetings everyone! Welcome to my first blog post of one of my all time favourite cakes. The Greek Yoghurt Cake tends to make everyone ponder about what type of cake it is. I’ve been questioned by my friends and family many times about what type of cake it is despite when the name speaks for itself already like when you say cheesecake, pandan cake, chocolate cake etc. The Greek Yoghurt is incorporated into the cake mixture giving it the moist texture and density that will gradually melt in your mouth. So far it has been a winner for my dad and my colleagues also approve of it with their first try of this supposedly unique cake. Phiew!

Funnily enough some of my colleagues would refer back to my childhood friend when the name of this cake is mentioned. I’m often asked if I baked this cake because of her. The answer is no despite my childhood friend is half Greek and half Chinese…funky mixture eh? I’ve known this childhood friend of mine since from kindergarden and we’ve been associated in the same educational institute (primary –> secondary –> tertiary –> post-grad) up until now. It sounds crazy as though like we've been following each other throughout our lives and developing the same passion for baking and research. This probability is like 1 in a million! I feel blessed to have someone like her in my life.
Anyways, this cake is very versatile in the sense that it can be accessorised with many different toppings to compliment the flavours much more. I’ve tried with spreading custard on the centre layer and topping it up with strawberries and icing sugar. Must I say, the combination of flavours were in perfect harmony with each other.



Greek Yoghurt Cake

(adapted from Women’s Weekly MIX)

125g butter, softened
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1 cup (280g) yoghurt

1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease two 19cm square cake tins and line base with baking paper. I normally just grease and flour the cake tins.

2. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Stir in half of sifted flour and soda and then half of the yoghurt; repeat with the flour and ending with the yoghurt.

3. Beat egg whites in a small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold in the egg whites into the yoghurt mixture in two batches. Divide mixture as evenly as you can into the two cake tins.

4. Bake cake about 35 minutes. Let it cool for 5 mins first in the cake tin and then turn the cake, top-side up onto a wire rack to cool.

Topping
300g thickened cream
1 tbsp icing sugar

Beat the thickened cream with electric mixer for approx. 2mins and then add in the icing sugar. Continue to beat the cream until stiff peaks start forming.

Note: You may add more icing sugar if you feel that the cream isn’t sweet enough for your liking ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment